Date Sent: 01/26/2017 08:45 AM EST
Sender: Michigan Health Alert Network
Subject: Carfentanil Death in Traverse City
On 1-25-17 toxicology reports came back from a suspicious death that occurred in a vehicle at a Traverse City grocery store parking lot in early December, 2016. Cause of death was from acute carfentanil poisoning. Traverse City Police Deptment is releasing a press release and a LIEN advisory was put out to all law enforcement agencies in Region 7. Carfentanil is EXTREMELY powerful and dangerous to First Responders if they come into contact with it.
This puts Michigan residents, first responders, and public health personnel at great risk of accidental overdose and death due to the extremely potent opioid. The MichiganIntelligence Operations Center (MIOC) recommends first responders and public health officials treat unknown chemicals and substances with extreme caution. People and animals such as canine units may absorb carfentanil, fentanyl, and other opioids via skin contact, inhalation, oral exposure, or ingestion. According to the 2016 Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) warning about fentanyl, “The onset of adverse health effects, such as disorientation, coughing, sedation, respiratory distress or cardiac arrest is very rapid and profound, usually occurring within minutes of exposure.
Please see attached reference material.